Carbon Monoxide is something we take very seriously here at Covenant. A silent, odorless and fatally toxic gas, it’s entirely avoidable if you know what to do to protect your home. In this post, we wanted to address the most common causes of carbon monoxide, and provide solutions to protect your family.
The initial symptoms of mild CO poisoning look like flu symptoms, but without a fever. You may be experiencing:
Shortness of Breath
Higher levels of poisoning include vomiting, confusion, loss of consciousness and will ultimately lead to death, which is why we cannot stress enough being able to spot the symptoms of CO poisoning.
The best thing you can do to avoid CO poisoning is to make sure all CO detectors are working in your home. They are the first warning sign against CO and cost as little as $30 in a home improvement store.
The next thing you can do is to make sure all appliances that use combustion are being used appropriately and are well-ventilated. Gas appliances, like stoves and furnaces, should be appropriately adjusted and inspected each year. Furnaces in particular can release CO into the home if there are holes or corrosion to your exhaust flue. Call your HVAC service technician to inspect your furnace if you aren’t sure. Always open your flues when fireplaces are in use, and when replacing your space heater, get one with ventilation. Do not idle your car in your garage with the doors closed.
One of the best things you can do is to keep your HVAC systems well maintaned and have it inspected seasonally. Have a licensed professional come inspect your furnace in the fall, before winter weather hits and you close doors and windows for the winter, and have your AC system inspected in the spring, before summer heat waves roll in.
If you’re worried about expense, most professional visits are less than $100 and can be completed in an afternoon. The cost of a life due to negligence is nothing compared to these costs. To schedule your appointment and get some peace of mind, call Covenant today.